Growing plants indoors can be a fun and rewarding hobby, and it's a great way to bring a little bit of nature into your home. Here are some tips for growing plants indoors successfully:
- Choose the right plants: Not all plants are suitable for indoor growing, so it's important to choose ones that will thrive in your home. Consider factors like light levels, humidity, and temperature when selecting plants.
- Provide proper lighting: Most indoor plants need bright, indirect light to thrive. If you don't have a lot of natural light in your home, you can consider using grow lights to provide the necessary lighting.
- Water properly: Overwatering or underwatering your plants can lead to problems, so it's important to get the watering right. Check the soil moisture regularly and water when the top inch of soil is dry. If you're like us and still unsure about proper watering, it's helpful to get a soil moisture meter like this! They are inexpensive (around $12-$15) and will remove the stress of knowing when to water or not.
- Fertilize regularly: Indoor plants often need extra nutrition to thrive, so it's a good idea to fertilize them regularly. Choose a fertilizer specifically formulated for indoor plants and follow the instructions on the package. We like to use Dr. Earth in our indoor plants, Garden Tower 2, and food forest.
- Pay attention to pests: Pests like aphids and spider mites can be a problem for indoor plants. Keep an eye out for signs of infestation and take appropriate action if necessary. We have found a simple diluted solution of Thieves Household Cleaner to be very effective at managing plant pests. And it's safe for kids, pets, and us! When keeping your indoor air clean is a priority (as it should be), consider using the Thieves product line for all of your needs.
By following these tips, you can enjoy growing beautiful and healthy plants indoors. Happy gardening!